Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) is the most effective and economical biocide for frac water treatment. It’s more effective because it provides greater microbial control; it is fast acting, yet far more selective than other oxidizers used in the frac water treatment process. It’s more economical because it requires lower doses to kill bacteria and because it eliminates iron, hydrogen sulfide and biofilms, which reduces produced water treatment cost.
Chlorine dioxide also has less corrosivity than chlorine, peroxide and ozone, and has proven to have no significant corrosion impact on frac equipment.
For more than 70 years, International Dioxcide has been a leading provider of chlorine dioxide equipment and technical expertise to the oilfield for frac water treatment. Our partnership with leading field service companies forms the largest network of ClO2 frac water treatment companies in the oil and gas industry.
Benefits of Chlorine Dioxide on Treating Frac Water
The benefits of using chlorine dioxide in the frac water treatment process include:
- Addresses a wide range of treatment conditions due to its fast acting nature at lower doses
- Does not require a low pH level to be effective, which lowers corrosivity
- Easily monitored in the field with simple analytical methods and equipment for mobile frac water treatment needs
- Minimizes undesired reactions with organics, which also reduces cost
- Readily oxidizes sulfide that stabilize oil/water emulsions in produced water disposal systems
- Safe and reliable oxidizing biocide that also removes iron, sulfide and biofilms
- Domestically-sourced precursors offer regulatory compliance and fast, reliable supply
The following demonstration video provides an in-depth explanation of why chlorine dioxide is effective in the frac water treatment process:
Frac Water Solutions
Ready to consider chlorine dioxide for your oil and gas water treatment needs? Inquire to get started.